In addition to in-person courses offered by the county, four online courses are required for your Type IV Communicator Credential. Each course takes a couple hours to complete. Be sure to save your certificates of completion for these online courses.
FEMA ICS and NIMS Courses
The FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) offers all of the courses online. You can study online and take the test online. For some courses you may also download the materials to your computer and study them alongside.
- Incident Command System 100 (IS-100.c) Training: Provides training on and resources for personnel who require a basic understanding of the Incident Command System (ICS).
- Incident Command System 200 (IS-200.c) Training: Provides training on and resources for personnel who are likely to assume a supervisory position within the Incident Command System (ICS). The primary target audiences are response personnel at the supervisory level.
- Introduction to the National Incident Management System (NIMS) (IS-700.b): Provides training on and resources for the National Incident Management System (NIMS). NIMS provides a consistent nationwide template to enable all government, private sector, and nongovernmental organizations to work together during domestic incidents.
State of California OES SEMS Course
The California Governor's Office of Emergency Services (OES) provides the Standardized Emergency Management System (SEMS) Introduction Online Course, SEMS G606.
There is no direct URL to this course. Please follow these steps instead.
- Go to the CSTI Training Portal
- Click on "Browse Training" (binoculars icon)
- In the left column, under Type, click on the the square blue icon to select online courses
- Look for Standardized Emergency Management System Introduction (SEMS G606) Online Course
Learn about other Emergency Management Training Courses at the county website
Save Your Certificates
Be sure to download and save your certificates of completion.